How to speed up WordPress site by 100% using PHP 7
Testing the WordPress site performance with PHP 7
PHP 7 is reported to give double the speed for website applications, compared to PHP 5.
To verify this, before and after switching the WordPress site to PHP 7, we tested the site speed using Apache Benchmark.
The stats was compared to the site performance in PHP 5.5.9, the earlier version that was running in the server.
Speed test results were obtained as below:
With PHP 5.x, the response time for the website was about 751 ms.
This was reduced by about 50%, to 317 ms, after switching to PHP 7, as seen from the Apache benchmark results here:
This Apache benchmark test for speed test clearly shows the benefit of PHP 7, as the latter has helped to speed up the WordPress site by 100%.
Points to note..
While the significant improvement in website speed is a tempting factor for WordPress site owners to switch to PHP 7, there are a few points to note before upgrade.
- The WordPress version should be compatible with PHP 7. WordPress 4.4 and above works fine with PHP 7.
- If there are any old WordPress installations with custom configuration or code, upgrading the PHP may break its working.
- The themes and plugins of the WordPress sites should also be ensured to be compatible with PHP 7.
- Other software in the server which do not work with PHP 7, may break when an upgrade is done.
- Servers can be configured to switch between two versions of PHP, if required. It is always advisable to keep backups to revert to.
If you’d like to know how to manage your WordPress servers to get the best performance out of them for your business, we’d be happy to talk to you.
Bobcares provides Outsourced Hosting Support and Outsourced Server Management for online businesses. Our services include Hosting Support Services, server support, help desk support, live chat support and phone support.