WebHosting control panels compared – Part 2
In WebHosting control panels compared – Part 1, we checked out the Licensing, user friendliness, multi language support, Security and Platform support for various control panels. The juice of a control panel though, always lies in the features it supports, especially the ones that your customers are going to see and use. In this Part 2, we do a one to one comparison of various features in cPanel, Hsphere, Plesk and Ensim.
Enduser control panel features are the features that your customers see when they use your WebHosting service. This section compares which control panel is most useful to your customers.
Customers typically use only 40% of your software’s features. The main challenge that Software designers face though is that the 40% which one user uses may be totally different from the 40% that another user uses. If you have a wide variety of users starting from the New entrant to the Power user, you may want to consider a control panel that scores best in the control panel features.
|Multiple Email accounts|
|Mailuser control panel|
|Website building tools||Upgrade|
|Multiple FTP accounts|
|Custom error pages|
|Mime types/ apache handlers|
|Search Engine submit|
|Disk usage report|
|Scheduled email reports|
|Development tools support|
|MX entry change|
|Shopping cart||Agora||Miva, OsCommerce||Miva, webshop manager||miva, oscommerce|
|Guestbook||Simple, advanced guestbook||Extropia|
|Game server||Battlefield 1942|
|Bulletin Board||phpBB||phpBB||phpBB||phpBB, Invision|
|Content Management||mambo,typo||postnuke, phpnuke|
|Chat||phpMyChat, Entropy||WebChat||gtchat, CSLH||PHPOpenchat|
- Hsphere – Very Feature rich, especially Sitestudio, PostgreSQLand Urchin support. Lack of prebuilt content management system, gallery.
- Ensim Pro – A good package with a few exceptions like PostgreSQLand Site builder.
- Plesk – Rich 3rdparty script support. Strong email and Developmenttools. But upgrade required for many.
- Cpanel – Somewhat dated 3rdparty software. Lacking in Databaseand development tool support. Lack of Tomcat and PostgreSQL.. Itseasy to add scripts though.
When you choose a control panel, make sure to check the demo. Most control panel sites have a demo section to check all the Client side features. Listed here are the links to the demos of the four control panels
- cPanel – No demo available onsite. Features listed at http://cpanel.net/features-cpanel.html
- Ensim – Ensim Pro – http://ensim.com/products/pro/demo.html
- Plesk – Plesk 7.5 for Windows – http://www.swsoft.com/en/products/plesk75win/demo/.
Plesk 7.5 Reloaded for Linux – http://www.swsoft.com/en/products/plesk75reloaded/demo/
- Hsphere – http://www.psoft.net/h_sphere_demo_page.html
About the author:
Sangeetha Naik heads Bobcares.com. She is the co-founder of Poornam Info Vision Ltd., Software and IT services company specializing in Linux based solutions for Webhosts and ISPs. Poornam Info Vision is an ISO 9001:2000 certified company with a team of over 140 engineers.