Wondering how to create SQL server alias? We can help you.
It is very difficult to manage multiple servers as we have to remember the names of each and every server. To overcome this difficulty we can create SQL server alias.
SQL Server alias provides us the flexibility to choose a familiar name for the SQL Server instance.
Here at Bobcares, we often handle requests regarding SQL server alias from our customers as a part of Server Management Services.
Today let’s see how our Support Techs do this for our customers.
Create SQL server alias using SQL Server Configuration Manager
SQL Server provides a configuration utility- SQL Server Configuration Manager with which we can either create an alias for the SQL server or delete the alias that was set previously.
The SQL Server Configuration Manager can also allows us to start/stop, pause/resume, and view the status of SQL Server services.
Managing server and client protocols and specifying SQL Server port can be done easily with SQL Server Configuration Manager.
We can launch the SQL Server configuration manager from the start menu. Alternatively, we can look for it in the following directory if Windows is in the C drive.
SQL Server 2019 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\SQLServerManager15.msc SQL Server 2017 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\SQLServerManager14.msc SQL Server 2016 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\SQLServerManager13.msc
The steps that our Support Engineers follow to create and delete an alias set for the SQL server are given below:
Steps for Creating an alias using SQL Server Configuration Manager
1. Take SQL Server Configuration Manager and go to SQL Server Native Client Configuration, from there check for subfolder Alias.
2. Then right-click on Aliases and click on New Alias.
2. We can give any name we wish to in the Alias Name box.
3. In the Server box, type the name or IP address of the server.
4. Next in the Protocol box, we can provide the protocol for this alias.
5. After filling in all the details we click on Apply and OK to see SQL Server alias in the Aliases list.
[Need assistance to create SQL alias? We are happy to help you!]
Steps for Deleting an alias using SQL Server Configuration Manager
1. Take SQL Server Configuration Manager and go to SQL Server Native Client Configuration, then click Aliases.
2. We can right-click the alias that we want to delete, and then click Delete.
3. A warning will pop up, we can click on Yes to remove the alias. This removes the SQL Server alias.
To conclude we saw what is SQL Server Configuration Manager and how our Support Engineer use to create SQL server alias and delete SQL server alias.