GoGreen – The first steps towards going green.
Going Green has been in the spotlight for some time now. Everywhere you look you see slogans for the cause: ‘Go Green’, ‘Save the Planet’, ‘Stop Global Warming’, ‘Use Mobile, Save Paper’, ‘Recycle Mobiles’. Its heart warming to know that our precious Planet is finally getting the attention its deserves, at least at this stage, where the state of our Planet is in a steady decline. Our Planet has only a fixed amount of resources, and the current growth in population has strained a considerable part of it. It is time every one of us do our part to preserve what we have left for future generations, so that they can enjoy the same standard of living as we have.
Why should you Go Green?
Other than the obvious fact of creating a better world for the next generation, what benefit could there be for a Webhost to go green?
- Helps build your brand image: Taking steps to go green announces to the world that you are a responsible company. Ready to go that extra mile to do the
right thingand help save the planet.
- Helps save money: Going green is usually associated with huge investments, but that is mostly when switching completely to renewable energy sources or purchasing more energy efficient systems. They help you save money in the long run, but there are hundreds of cheaper ways you can save money in the short term too.
What can you do?
Companies spend billions of dollars on going green every year. That level of expenditure would not make sense for an up and coming Webhost, or even for an above average Webhost. You can start small, at office or even at home. Here’s a look at the different areas where we, members of the Webhost and related industries, can concentrate on:
- Turn off unwanted/unused lights
- Utilize natural light where ever you can.
- Switch from regular to CFL light bulbs.
- Try using renewable sources of energy as much as possible.
- Buy Energy Star-rated devices (Especially your Air-Conditioners).
- Purchase and use recyclable electronic products only
- Screen savers don’t save energy. Set computer to go to sleep during short breaks.
- Stop using CRT monitors and start using LCD monitors.
- Go paperless when possible.
- Make it a habit to print on both sides of a paper.
- Reuse the blank side of old documents for faxes or scribbling.
- Use recycled goods.
- Recycle goods. This will reduce paper and plastics going into landfills.
- Hold on to your cell phones, computers and other electronics for as long as possible before upgrading.
- Grey water can be used for gardening purposes.
- Employ telecommuting to save on fuel, which in turn will also reduce exhaust gas generation.
- Consider cycling or walking, instead of driving to work.
Emission and Recycle standards
- Follow Government Emission standards to handle exhaust from generators and other heavy machinery.
- Follow Government standards while handling non recyclable electronic products.
- For every computer purchased, plant a tree.
- Encourage gardening.
Let’s work hand in hand to develop green business practices which can help create a healthier environment for everyone. This will be the best gift that we can offer to our future generations and make Mother Earth a better place to live in.
About the Author:
Blessen Cherian, Executive Team Member of Bobcares brings in over 8 years of experience in varied areas of Server Administration, Networking, Quality Management and Information Security. Apart from his crucial role in employee development training programs, implementing several Engineering projects, Blessen is passionate about developing corporate and marketing strategies which has helped Bobcares in its growth. During his leisure, Blessen loves to be playing with his baby and spending time with family.