Need help to configure Microsoft Outlook for Zimbra? We can help you.
Here at Bobcares, we have seen several such Outlook related queries as part of our Server Management Services.
Today, let us discuss how we configure Microsoft Outlook for the Zimbra email server to send and receive emails.
Configure Microsoft Outlook for Zimbra
Microsoft Outlook is the de facto email client in the Microsoft space which helps millions of users connect all their email accounts, calendars, and files in one convenient spot.
On the other hand, Zimbra is one of the most common open source email collaboration solutions found on most enterprise setups.
Furthermore, let us take a look at the steps our Support Engineers follow:
First, we make sure that the Microsoft Outlook application is installed.
- When we first open Outlook, it will prompt us to set up an account.
If it does not, go to File > Info > Add Account.
- Select Yes for the question: Do you want to set up Outlook to connect to an email account?
- Click on Next
- Select Manual setup or additional server types. Click Next.
- Choose POP or IMAP, and then choose Next.
- Enter all the required information:
Your Name: Enter name which will appear when we send out an email Email address: Enter full email address Account type: Select IMAP Incoming mail server: hostname of Zimbra mail server (MX record value) Outgoing mail server: hostname of Zimbra mail server User Name: Enter full email address Password: Enter a strong password Remember password: If we do not want to type in the password whenever Outlook opens, check this box.
- Once done, on More Settings, the internet email dialogue box will appear.
- Under the Outgoing Server tab, check “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”.
- If not already selected, we select Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
- Under the Advanced tab:
In the Incoming Server area, choose SSL for the type of encrypted connection, and change the port number to 993. In the Outgoing Server area, choose TLS for the type of encrypted connection, and change the port number to 465. Incoming Server: Zimbra server hostname Protocol: IMAP Port 993 (SSL Enabled) Outgoing server: Zimbra hostname | or relay server if any Protocol: SMTP Port 465 (SSL Enabled)
- Click Next.
- Then click Finish.
Finally, we try to login into the account and send a test email.
We are set to start sending and receiving emails on the Outlook application.
[Need help to configure Microsoft Outlook for Zimbra? We are available 24*7]
In short, we saw the steps to configure Microsoft Outlook to connect to the Zimbra email server for sending and receiving emails. This is one of the easy methods suggested by our Experienced Server Admins.