Stuck with the SolusVM error, Unable to find ostemplate? We can help you.
We may come across this error when we try to reinstall OpenVZ VPS on the SolusVM localhost node.
As part of our Server Management Services, we assist our customers with several SolusVM queries.
Today, let us see how to fix this error.
Unable to find ostemplate
Recently, while one of our customers tried reinstalling OpenVZ VPS on SolusVM localhost node, he came across the error, “Unable to find ostemplate”
The major symptoms of the error include:
- Unable to reinstall a container on localhost in Virtual Servers > VPS > Reinstall
- We can find the below error in
Opening delta /vz/private/VEID/root.hdd/root.hds vzctl : CT VEID : Error: Unable to find ostemplate: 1 vzctl : CT VEID : Destroying Container private area: /vz/private/VEID vzctl : CT VEID : The ploop image /vz/private/VEID/root.hdd has been successfully unregistered
- If we attempt to enter this container, the following error occurs:
# vzctl enter 101 enter into CT 101 failed Unable to open pty: No such file or directory
- It is possible to reinstall a new VPS using the Client area:
The cause of this error can be the Bug #SVM-1831 that is planned to fix in future SolusVM versions.
In order to fix this, our Support Techs suggest the below steps.
However, until the fix becomes available, we can use the native reinstall tool:
- We connect to the SolusVM Master via SSH
- Then we stop the container
# vzctl stop CTID
- Re-install OS
# vzctl reinstall <CTID> –ostemplate <template_name>
Here, we replace <CTID> with the actual VPS CT ID, and <template_name> with the template name without the “.tar.gz” part.
Suppose, the container was already reinstalled from the SolusVM Admin area. In such a case, the only solution is to completely remove the container and create a new one.
Unable to create OpenVZ VPS in SolusVM
Apart from the error above, we may also notice the error “Unable to get appcache tarball name” while creating OpenVZ VPS in SolusVM.
The symptoms of this can be as follows:
- Unable to create an OpenVZ VPS in SolusVM – VPS stays offline.
- In /var/log/vzctl.log we can see the error:
vzctl: CT 101: Unable to get appcache tarball name for ve-vswap-solus.conf-sample with ostemplate centos-6-x86_64-minimal
- The /var/log/vztt.log shows the below error:
Error: package_manager file for centos-6-x86_64 EZ os template should be filled
The cause of this error can be a necessary package missing.
In order to fix this, our Support Techs suggest:
- Initially, we connect to the slave server over SSH.
- Then we install the template and vzpkg packages:
# yum install vzpkg* centos-6-x86_64-ez -y
- Eventually, we update the package_manager file:
# echo “rpm47x64” > /vz/template/centos/6/x86_64/config/os/default/package_manager
[Couldn’t fix the error? We can help you]
In short, we saw how our Support Techs fix the SolusVM error for our customers.