Can’t fix Windows update error 0x80041014? We can help you.
As part of our Server Management Services, we assist our customers with several Windows queries.
Today, let us focus on a few methods our Support Engineers found the best fit in order to fix this error.
Windows update error 0x80041014
Windows Update continuously fails to search for Updates or cannot install them. Generally, when we try and type in the product key, it returns Error Code: 0x80041014.
The source of this problem could be various things as given below:
- Windows Registry
- Windows Filesystem
- Internet access
- Windows Update service
- File corruption
- Virus and Malware
Solutions for Windows update error 0x80041014
In order to fix the update error, our Support Engineers suggest following the given methods. Let us now focus on the methods in detail.
Method 1: Clean the Windows Update temporary cache folder
Stop Windows Update
- Initially, type “
services.msc” in Run prompt
- A new window will open containing all Windows services on the system.
- Then search for “Windows Update”
- Right-click the “Windows Update” and then click Stop.
Clean the Windows Update temporary cache folder
%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStorein Run prompt and click OK.
- This will open Windows Explorer in the correct location.
- Then, delete all contents of this folder.
Start the Windows Update Service again
- Now, switch back to Windows Services.
- Locate Windows Update.
- Right-click on it and choose Start.
Method 2: Run the System File Checker (SFC) utility.
This handy in-built tool will check the filesystem.
- Type “
cmd” in Run prompt.
- Then right-click and select Run as administrator.
- If we are prompted for the admin password, enter the password and click OK.
- A completely black window will open. We can type commands directly into this window.
sfc/scannowand press Enter.
- This process will take a long time.
Come back to the black window after a time and check if the process finished. As soon as the SFC process finished, restart the computer.
After the restart, search for Updates again.
Method 3: Clean Windows Update download path
regeditin Run prompt and hit Enter.
- In the new windows, we have a navigation on the left side. Use it to navigate to
- Then search for WUServer and WIStatusServer in the right-hand pane.
- If they are not listed, we cannot clean the download path. Otherwise, delete both.
- Restart the computer.
[Couldn’t resolve the error? We are available 24*7]
In short, the source of Windows update error 0x80041014 could be various things. However, today we saw a few effective solutions suggested by our Support Techs.