Wondering how to Change the Disk Driver to Virtio or IDE? We can help you.
Here at Bobcares, we handle requests from our customers to install Disk driver and change the Disk Driver to Virto or IDE.
Today we will see how our Support Engineers do this for our customers as a part of our Server Management Services.
How to Change the Disk Driver to Virtio or IDE in SolusVM
We must only change this before Installing/Reinstalling the OS. Before going into the steps for changing Disk Driver into Virto we will see how to Install VirtIO NIC and Disk Driver in Windows KVM VPS.
Steps for Installing VirtIO NIC and Disk driver in Windows KVM VPS
Following are the steps for installation:
1. Firstly, we must connect to the slave KVM node via SSH
2. Then we have to enable the virtio-win repository. For this we can use the following command:
# wget https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/virtio-win.repo -O /etc/yum.repos.d/virtio-win.repo
3. After that we need to Install the virtio-win package. We can use the following command to do this:
# yum install virtio-win
4. Next, we have to attach the ISO image with VirtIO drivers to the Windows KVM VPS using the following command:
# virsh attach-disk kvmID /usr/share/virtio-win/virtio-win-0.1.171.iso hdc --type cdrom --mode readonly
Note: Provide the actual ID of the VPS instead of kvmID
5. Now we will create a dummy disk image in raw format.
We can use the following commands for this:
# cd /var/lib/libvirt/images/ # qemu-img create -f raw dummy 100M
6. Next we will attach the created image to VPS.
On Centos 7 node:
We can run the following command:
# virsh attach-disk kvmID /var/lib/libvirt/images/dummy hdb --cache none --targetbus virtio
7. Finally we need to install virtio dirver inside the VPS, for this we must follow the steps given below:
a) We will access the VPS via VNC first.
b) Then open Command Prompt and execute the following command to open Device Manager:
c) Now, expand Other devices, right-click on unidentified device, and select Update Driver Software to access the driver update wizard.
d) After that we need to click on Browse my computer for driver software
e) And then click on Browse to select CD-ROM drive, and click Next
f) We must repeat the same steps for all the unidentified devices.
g) Finally Reboot the server.
Steps to Change the Disk Driver to Virtio or IDE in SolusVM
Now we will see the steps that our Support Engineers follow to change the Disk driver to VirtIO or IDE.
1. First, log in to the SolusVM Control Panel.
2. If there are multiple VPS, we must select the appropriate one that we wish to make the changes to.
3. Then go to the Settings tab, and click on the Disk Driver option.
4. From the Drop-Down Menu., we must select the appropriate Disk Driver.
5. Reboot your VPS and you will be able to install/reinstall your OS which will use your selected disk driver.
[Need assistance? We can help you]
In short, we saw how our Support Techs Change the Disk Driver to Virtio or IDE for our customers.