Wondering how to create a custom Windows SolusVM KVM template? We can help you!
Often our customers using SolusVM request to us for creating a custom Windows SolusVM KVM template.
Here at Bobcares, we handle similar requests as a part of our Server Management Services.
Today let’s see how our Support Engineers fix this for our customers.
Steps to create a custom Windows SolusVM KVM template
Following are the steps that our Support Engineers follow to create a custom template:
1. First we have to prepare a source VPS from which template will be created.
2. Ensure that the size of VPS is as small as template size.
3. Then execute the following in Windows command line:
C:\> chkdsk /f
4. And reboot the VPS twice.
5. After that, we must check partition table in the source VPS kvm123 to determine which partition is resizable
# /scripts/kvmtemplate --mode=prescan --vmid=kvm123 --generation=2 Name Type VFS Label MBR Size Parent UUID /dev/sda1 filesystem ntfs System Reserved - 350M - FABAA192BAA14BC7 /dev/sda2 filesystem ntfs - - 9.7G - 840AA3460AA33458 /dev/sda1 partition - - 07 350M /dev/sda - /dev/sda2 partition - - 07 9.7G /dev/sda - /dev/sda device - - - 10G - -
In most cases, the partition to resize is the biggest partition. In the example above the biggest partition is
/dev/sda2, so the partition to resize will be 2.
7. We can create the template using the following:
# /scripts/kvmtemplate --mode=package --vmid=kvm123 --generation=2
8. Then we can rename the template using the following:
# mv /home/solusvm/kvm/template/template-149fee41d5801f96368c959a00dd6092a56ba031.gz windows-2012-server-x86_64-custom.gz
9. Now, we can upload the created template to the Master server with the same template location using the following:
10. Finally we can add the template in SolusVM.
Adding a KVM template in SolusVM
Following are the steps to add the template in SolusVM
1. First, we must connect to the Master SolusVM server via SSH
2. Then upload KVM template to the /home/solusvm/kvm/template/ directory.
3. And log into SolusVM web interface and browse to Dashboard > Media > Add KVM Template
4. From here we can configure the template per its requirements
5. And click on Add Template button.
6. After that, browse to Media > Media Sync > Create page
7. We need to sync templates between Master and Slave nodes by clicking on Create Sync Job.
8. Ensure that the task is completed on the Jobs.
[Need assistance? We can help you]
To conclude, we saw the steps that our Support Techs follow for creating a custom Windows SolusVM KVM template.