The DISM Error 0x800f0906 “The source file could not be downloaded” occurs when we execute the following command in a Command Prompt:
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
As part of our Server Management Services, we assist our customers with several DISM queries
Today, let us see how we can fix this error via different methods.
DISM Error 0x800f0906 “The source file could not be downloaded”
In order to service and repair a Windows installation, we use the DISM command-line utility. However, the failure of the same can be a pretty significant issue.
When it fails, the error message either states that the source files could not be downloaded or that the files to repair the store could not be found.
The causes include:
- Any kind of a corruption
- One or more of the latest Windows updates available for the affected computer not being installed.
How to fix DISM Error 0x800f0906
We saw the cause of this error. Now, let us focus on the solutions suggested by our Support Techs.
Solution 1: Uninstall the KB3022345 Update
When we try to use the DISM tool’s restore health function, we may come across the KB3022345 update. This is due to a bug that is well known to Microsoft and allegedly fixed in later updates.
This update broke both DISM and SFC for users of Windows. The solution for this is as easy as uninstalling the update.
- Open Control Panel from Start menu.
- Switch to Icons view and open Programs and Features from the list.
- On the left side, click on the View installed updates.
- We will see a search box in the top right corner, type KB3022345 to find the update.
- Once found, right-click it and choose.
- Finally, reboot the system.
Solution 2: Run an SFC scan
Corruption is one of the most common causes of this error. In such a case, an SFC scan is most definitely a good idea.
It is capable of scanning all of the system files for corruption and fixing them.
- Click the Start button and in the search bar, type cmd.
- Right-click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator.
- Click Yes on the User Account Control (UAC) prompt, when the blinking cursor appears, type the command given below and press Enter:
Solution 3: Manually repair corruptions
- Right-click on the Start menu to open the WinX Menu.
- Click on Command Prompt (Admin) in the WinX Menu to launch one.
- One by one, type the following commands, press Enter after each command and wait for one command to fully execute before typing in the next one:
net stop wuauserv cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution ren Download Download.old net start wuauserv net stop bits net start bits net stop cryptsvc cd %systemroot%\system32 ren catroot2 catroot2old net start cryptsvc
- Then we Close the Command Prompt.
- Restart the system.
- When the system boots up, run the DISM utility and see if it runs successfully.
Solution 4: Install any and all available Windows updates for the computer
We may also come across this error if one or more of the Windows updates available for the computer is not installed. In order to resolve this, we just need to install them.
To do so, we need to:
- Open the Start Menu.
- Click on Settings >> Update & security >> Windows Update.
- In the right pane, click on Check for updates.
- Wait for it to check for and retrieve any and all available updates for the computer.
- If we find any updates available for the computer, download and install them.
- Once done, restart the computer.
Finally, when the computer boots up, run the DISM utility and check to see whether or not the problem has been fixed.
[Need help with the resolutions? We’d be happy to assist you]
In short, the failure of the DISM command-line utility will lead us to the DISM Error 0x800f0906. Today, we saw effective ways our Support Techs employ in order to fix this error.