Wondering how to fix “Error communicating with DirectAdmin server – login failed”? We can help you.
Often our customers using DirectAdmin report to us about this error.
Here at Bobcares, we handle requests from our customers to fix similar errors as a part of our Server Management Services.
Today we will see how our Support Engineers fix this for our customers.
Steps to fix Error communicating with DirectAdmin server – login failed
Following are a few of the methods that our Support Engineers use to fix this issue.
When login keys functionality is turned off in DirectAdmin.
We need to ensure that it is enabled in the following files:
- /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf - login_keys=1 - /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/admin/user.conf - login_keys=ON
Also, we can update values if needed and try again.
In case if the problem persists after enabling login keys we can try reinstalling the plugin following the plugin installation guide.
Please try to create a login key manually:
1. Go to /CMD_LOGIN_KEYS in the panel.
2. Then click on Create new login key.
3. After that fill in the key name, key-value, expires: never, uses: 0, clear key: checked, allow htm: checked, commands: CMD_LOGIN and CMD_PLUGINS.
4. Now, enter the password below and click Create.
5. If this operation succeeds we have to create a new file like the one given below if it doesn’t exist already:
6. We can add a key-value we use in login key creation.
7. Finally, Save the file.
We have to ensure that the IP of the used builder server is not blacklisted in DirectAdmin.
This can be checked in the following files:
if it exists.
Login keys functionality in DirectAdmin
Generally, we can create keys to allow login to the control panel. These keys act like an extra password that is valid on the account.
However, the key can be set to only be allowed to run certain commands. Furthermore, these keys can also have an expiry date. They can also be set to have a limited number of executions.
We can add an IP list so that only specific IPs or Ranges are allowed to use that key.
The main purpose of this feature is for remote API calls to the account so that they can easily restrict its use, without giving full access, and without giving the main password.
[Need assistance? We can help you]
In short, we saw how our Support Techs fix Error communicating with DirectAdmin server – login failed.