Recently we had a customer mentioning the error, “Your IMAP server closed the connection 0x800cccdd“ while accessing Outlook with IMAP.
The main reason for this error could be the application not working properly with an IMAP connection.
As part of our Server Management Services, we assist our customers with several Outlook queries.
Today, let’s see in detail how our Support Engineers fix IMAP error code 0x800cccdd.
What is IMAP server closed the connection 0x800cccdd error?
Most of our customers testify that they frequently encounter the Error 0x800cccdd while working on the IMAP server account.
The 0x800cccdd error code usually appears because “Send/Receive” settings enabled for Outlook on an IMAP server. It can also be because of the incorrect IMAP settings.
The reason for the IMAP server closed the connection 0x800cccdd error?
IMAP is a highly advanced protocol to handle emails over the network.
Since IMAP protocol by default synchronizes with the server, it is not necessary to schedule the send/receive emails manually.
Therefore, when a user, unknowingly enables the option of send/receive emails, the error code 0x800cccdd occurs.
Generally, users merge both the IMAP & POP accounts into the same group. This leads to an error, “Your IMAP server closed the connection.”
We can detect the Outlook IMAP 0x800cccdd error when we face the below scenarios:
- We get a “Your IMAP server closed the connection” message on the screen.
- The outlook application will constantly freeze after we add a new account in Outlook.
How we fix the IMAP server closed the connection 0x800cccdd error?
So far we discussed the IMAP server error and its reasons. Now let’s see how our Support Engineers fix this error for our customers.
The error in Outlook with an IMAP connection occurs when we “Schedule an automatic send/receive every X minutes“. In order to fix it our Support Engineers just disable the option.
Here’s the step by step process on how to perform it:
1. We open ‘Outlook‘, click on Tools >> send/receive option.
2. From the send/receive option we click on Send/Receive Settings.
3. Then we click on Define Send/Receive Groups from Send/Receive Settings as shown below.
4. When we click on define Send/Receive Groups another window appears.
5. Then we disable/uncheck ‘Schedule an automatic send/receive every “X” minutes under the option ‘Settings for the group All Accounts‘. As shown below.
6. After we uncheck the option we click on close and restart the outlook.
This fixes the customer’s IMAP error.
[0x800cccdd error continues to prevail? We’ll fix it for you.]
In short, the major reason for this error is incorrect IMAP settings. Today, we saw how our Support Engineers fix this error for our customers.