Need help with Windows update error 0xFFFFFFFF? We can help you.
We have often come across this error while updating Windows. It is disturbing to encounter a blue screen, system crash issue, or computer freeze when we are doing some work. The code 0xFFFFFFFF is a common error that can create some registry files in the system and harm the hard disk and ram.
As part of our Server Management Services, we assist our customers with several Windows queries.
Today, let us focus on the various methods our Support Techs employ in order to fix this error.
Windows update error 0xFFFFFFFF
As we mentioned earlier, Windows update error 0xFFFFFFFF occurs in our system when we update windows. The Windows Update fails to search for Updates or cannot install them eventually giving us the error.
The source of this error could be various things, including:
- Missing registry files or
- Windows Filesystem
- Internet access
- Windows Update service: Corrupt or incomplete download installation of windows update software.
- File corruption
- Virus and Malware
- An important program is mistakenly deleted.
Solutions for Windows update error 0xFFFFFFFF
It is essential for us to solve windows error 0xFFFFFFFF. Let us look at the methods our Support Techs find the best fit in order to fix this problem.
a) Stop the Windows Update service
- Type “
services.msc” in the Run prompt and Enter.
- Then we will have a new window with all Windows services on our system.
- Here, we search for “Windows Update”
- Then right-click the “Windows Update” and click Stop.
b) Clean the Windows Update temporary cache folder
%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStorein Run prompt and press Enter.
- This is to open Windows Explorer in the correct location.
- Then, we delete all the contents of this folder.
c) Start the Windows Update Service again
- Switch back to the Windows Services.
- Then locate Windows Update.
- Subsequently, right-click on it and click Start.
Method 2: Run the System File Checker
We run the System File Checker (SFC) utility if the error continues to prevail. This handy in-built tool will check the filesystem.
- Initially, click Start and type “
- Right-click on it and select Run as administrator.
- Occasionally, we are prompted for the admin password, enter it and click OK.
- Eventually, the command prompt will open.
sfc/scannowand press Enter.
- The process is time-consuming. Once done, restart the server. Then, search for Updates again.
Method 3: Clean Windows Update download path.
- To begin, type “
regedit” in the Run prompt and press Enter.
- In the new windows, with navigation on the left side, navigate to
- Once we find it, search for WUServer and WIStatusServer in the right-hand pane.
- If they are not listed, we cannot clean the download path. Otherwise, delete both.
- Finally, restart the server.
Method 4: Check Windows Firewall
- Type “
Firewall.cpl” in the Run prompt and press Enter.
- Then, click on Turn Windows Firewall On or Off.
- In a private network setting, select Turn off windows firewall.
- Do the same for the public network settings and press OK.
- Then, try to install the updates
Once the updates are installed, do not forget to turn on the windows firewall.
[Didn’t these methods resolve the error? We are here for you]
To conclude, the source of the error 0xFFFFFFFF can be many, However, in most cases, following the above steps suggested by our Support Engineers can resolve it.