Wondering how to clone KVM VPS on KVM Slave Server? We can help you.
As part of our Server Management Services, we assist our customers with several KVM queries.
Today, let us see how our engineers proceed with the cloning.
How to clone a KVM VPS on the KVM slave server?
A kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) is a virtual private server, to be on top of a physical server.
All the resources are dedicated to the KVM VPS. We cannot share them with other users on the physical device.
On the other hand, clone transfers all the VPS data including configuration and user data.
Our Support Techs recommend saving the VPS data prior to the Clone process as Virtualizor will power off the VPS to do the transfer.
Cloning is only available for OpenVZ, KVM, XEN, and LXC Servers. It may take some time to complete the process depending on the VPS size and transfer rate.
In order to check its status, we can navigate away from the Clone page and go to the Tasks page.
Moving ahead, let us see how our Support Techs perform the clone for our customers.
1. Initially, we create a new VPS with the same configuration on the server from SolusVM.
2. Then we stop both the VPS on the server.
3. After that, we connect to the Slave node via SSH.
4. And we create the backup of the source VPS:
dd if=/dev/vps/kvm101_img | gzip | dd of=/home/kvm101_backup.gz bs=4096
5. Eventually, we copy the backup to the new VPS on the server:
dd if=/home/kvm101_backup.gz | gzip -d | dd of=/dev/vps/kvm102_img bs=4096
6. Finally, we reconfigure the new VPS at SolusVM > Virtual Servers > VPS > Re-Configure.
[Need help with the procedure? We will be glad to assist you]
In short, we saw how our Support Techs perform the clone for our customers.