Wondering how to install .NET framework 4.8 on windows server 2016? We can help you.
Installing the latest .Net framework on the server improves the performance and speed of the web apps.
At Bobcares, we often receive requests to install the .Net framework on the windows server as part of our Server Management Services.
Today, let’s discuss how our Support Engineers do it easily for our customers.
What is the .NET Framework?
.NET Framework by Microsoft is used to run and create applications and services which are based on the XML web.
The .NET software on Windows cannot run if the .NET Framework is not installed on the system.
The main advantages it provides include, Integration, Reliability, Performance, Productivity, and security.
How to install .NET Framework 4.8 on Windows 2016?
Recently, one of our customers approached us to install the latest .Net framework on his dedicated server. Let’s see how our Support Engineers install the .Net framework for them.
- Initially, we RDP to the server.
- Then open the web browser from the server and download the required .NET Framework from the below link.
Click on the .NET Framework 4.8 link and the Download .NET Framework 4.8 option.
- Then right-click on the downloaded file. We click on the Properties and unblock it.
- Then double click on the file and complete the installation.
- After the .Net installation, the server will ask for a reboot. So we reboot the server.
- Then we open the corresponding Plesk panel of the server.
- Select the Tools and Settings from the Plesk.
- Then under the Applications & Databases, we choose ASP.NET Settings.
- Then we check whether the new version updates under Framework Version.
How to change the ASP.NET version on an account?
We follow the below steps to change the .Net version of an account.
- Firstly we log in to Plesk.
- Then from the left sidebar, we click Websites & Domains.
- After that select the account and click Hosting Settings.
- Then under the Web Scripting and Statistics, in the Microsoft ASP.NET support (Version) list box, we select the ASP.NET version.
- Finally, we click the Ok button.
Few Installation errors
We have also found that the installation may end up with errors. Here are some such instances and their solution by our Support Techs.
Installation failed with error code: (0x8000FFFF), “Catastrophic failure”
While installing .NET Framework v4.8, we may come across a “0x8000ffff catastrophic failure” error.
In order to solve this error we follow the below steps:
- Temporarily turn off the security software.
- Then open the command prompt and run as administrator:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Check the permission of the C:\Windows\ System32 \CatRoot2\ folder and give full control to the NETWORK SERVICE and SYSTEM and CryptSvc accounts.
This application could not be started
Applications for the .NET Framework typically require a specific version of the .NET Framework to install on the system. In some cases, we attempt to run an application without either an installed version or the expected version.
This often produces an error dialog box stating, ‘This application could not be started’
This typically indicates one of the following conditions:
- Corruption of a .NET Framework installation on the system.
- The version of the .NET Framework needed by the application cannot be detected.
Our Support Techs resolve this by following the below procedure:
Initially, we download the .NET Framework Repair Tool (NetFxRepairTool.exe) from the URL: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135‘
Once the download completes the tool runs automatically.
However, if the .NET Framework Repair Tool recommends any additional action, we select Next.
It displays a dialog box to indicate that changes are complete. We leave this dialog box open while we to try rerun the application.
This should succeed if the .NET Framework Repair Tool has identified and corrected a corrupted .NET Framework installation.
If the application runs successfully, select the Finish button. Otherwise, select the Next button.
If we select the Next button, the .NET Framework Repair Tool displays a dialog box regarding the logs to be sent to Microsoft. Select the Finish button to send diagnostic information to Microsoft.
If we still fail to run the application, we install the latest version of the .NET Framework supported by the version of Windows. Then attempt to launch the application.
In some cases, we may see a dialog box that asks to install the .NET Framework 3.5. Select Download and install this feature, then launch the application again.
[Need more assistance in installing .NET framework 4.8? We’ll help you.]
To conclude, we discussed how to install the .NET framework 4.8 on windows server 2016. Also, we saw how our Support Engineers help our customers install it.