Wondering how to resolve lost connection to EC2 Windows instance error? We can help you.
Here, at Bobcares, we assist our customers with several AWS queries as part of our AWS Support Services.
Today, let us see how we can fix this.
How to resolve lost connection to EC2 Windows instance?
Today, let us see the methods followed by our Support Techs to resolve it.
Method 1: Use the EC2 Serial Console
- If you enabled EC2 Serial Console for Windows, you can use it to troubleshoot supported Nitro-based instance types.
- The serial console helps you troubleshoot boot issues, network configuration, and SSH configuration issues.
- The serial console connects to your instance without the need for a working network connection.
- You can access the serial console using the Amazon EC2 console or the AWS Command Line Interface (AWS CLI).
- Before that, grant access to it at the account level.
- Then, create AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) policies granting access to your IAM users.
- Also, every instance using the serial console must include at least one password-based user.
- If your instance is unreachable and you haven’t configured access to the serial console, then create a temporary elastic network interface.
Method 2: Create a temporary elastic network interface
You can create a temporary elastic network interface, and attach the network interface to the Amazon EC2 Windows instance.
Then, you can temporarily connect to the instance and fix the issue.
- Firstly, open the Amazon EC2 console, and then choose Instances from the navigation pane.
- Select your instance. From the Description tab, make a note of the Subnet ID.
- Create a new network interface in the same subnet as the instance.
Please be sure to select a security group that allows incoming Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) traffic from your IP address.
- Attach the new network interface to the instance.
Please note the network interface might take a few minutes to come online. If you connect to the instance using RDP, associate an Elastic
- IP address with the network interface.
- Using the new network interface, connect to the instance using RDP.
- Next, change the network connection settings in Windows to use DHCP. Or, specify the correct private IP address settings.
- Finally, detach the temporary network interface.
[Stuck with the error? We’d be happy to assist]
In short, we saw how our Support Techs fix connection issue to EC2 Windows instance.