Wondering how to move Amazon Redshift Cluster from one VPC to another VPC? We can help you.
Here, at Bobcares, we assist our customers with several AWS queries as part of our AWS Support Services.
Today, let us see how to move the cluster from one Amazon VPC to another VPC.
Move Amazon Redshift Cluster from one VPC to another VPC
To do so, our Support Techs recommend the steps below:
Confirm the AWS IAM roles and configuration details of the source cluster
- We open the Amazon Redshift console, and from the navigation pane, we select CLUSTERS.
- Then we select the Amazon Redshift cluster to move.
- At the top of the page, from the Actions drop-down list, we select Manage IAM roles.
- We need to associate the IAM roles of the cluster with the new cluster later. So we make note of them.
Create a cluster subnet group
Our next step is to create a cluster subnet group. For VPC, we select the ID of the VPC where we want to migrate to.
After that, we add associated subnets if any.
Take a snapshot of the source cluster
Then we take a manual snapshot. For the Cluster identifier, we select the cluster that we want to migrate.
Restore the cluster to the new cluster subnet group
- We select the snapshot and then select Restore from the snapshot.
- Then we configure the properties of the new cluster. By default, it automatically selects the same properties as the source cluster.
However, these properties are different from the source cluster:
a) Cluster identifier
b) Virtual private cloud (VPC): the VPC that we want to migrate the cluster to
- Finally, we select Restore.
Associate the IAM roles
- From the navigation pane, we select Clusters > New cluster.
- Then from the Actions drop-down list, we select Manage IAM roles.
- From Available IAM roles, we select the roles that associate with the source cluster.
- After that we Add IAM role > Done.
Once we restore the snapshot and the new cluster status changes to Available, we follow these steps:
- Initially, we rename the old cluster.
- Then we rename the new cluster to the original cluster name.
- We resume the write operations to the cluster from client applications.
- Eventually, we delete the old cluster.
[Need help to move your cluster? We’d be happy to help]
In short, we saw how our Support Techs move the Amazon Redshift Cluster from one VPC to another VPC.