Having Problems Using Nagios With Proxies? We can help you.
Problems can arise if proxies are not configured correctly while using with Nagios.
As part of our Server Management Services, we assist our customers with several Nagios queries.
Today, let us discuss the problems while we use Nagios with proxies and how to fix them.
Problems Using Nagios With Proxies
Generally, most of the problems arise because:
- Nagios XI requires external access for package installation and updates. Package installation and updates may not work when proxies are configured incorrectly.
- Nagios XI code makes several internal HTTP calls to the local Nagios XI server to perform. These will not work properly if we deploy a proxy that is not configured properly. It can also result in a non-functional Nagios XI installation.
Initially, we need to configure the yum and wget configurations to make XI installation work with a proxy.
In addition, to update the following files, we need to access the Nagios XI server in an SSH session.
proxy=http://someproxyserver:port/ # Shouldn’t need to be quoted, remember the trailing slash proxy_username=myname # The username we authenticate to our proxy with, if applicable proxy_password=mypass # The password we provide to our proxy, if applicable
http_proxy=http://myname:mypass@someproxyserver:port/ # All in one string this time https_proxy=https://myname:mypass@someproxyserver:port/ # Only required if we have a HTTPS proxy no_proxy=localhost,127.0.0.0/8,10.0.0.0/8,172.16.0.0/12,192.168.0.0/16 # Hosts to exclude from proxying
We don’t have to quote in any of these. However, if we have special characters in passwords, we need to escape them with backslashes.
Our Support Techs suggest another method as well:
- Prior to running any installation script, install the php-pear package manually.
- Set proxy for PHP Pear
pear config-set http_proxy ‘http://example.com:8080’
- Then run Nagios installation scripts sequentially
- Before running E-importnagiosql script, unset the system proxy.
Update Check Behind A Proxy
For systems behind a proxy, update checks are known to fail.
We have a proxy component that allows the update check to work behind most proxies.
To configure the proxy settings, navigate to Admin > Proxy Configuration.
[Need help with the configuration? We are available 24*7]
In short, problems can arise if we do not configure proxies correctly while using Nagios. Today, we saw effective methods our Support Techs employ in order to fix them.