Install DotNetNuke like a champ with this in-depth guide from the very best in the industry. The Support Engineers at Bobcares are well-versed with the nuts and bolts of installing DNN.
DNN, earlier known as DotNetNuke allows you to manage your websites easily, it is an expandable software with an exceeding range of functionality. Find out how to install it under the guidance of our Support Team.
What is DotNetNuke?
The DNN platform, previously known as DotNetNuke, is an open-source software and distributed under an MIT license. This allows the user to manage websites without being a master of technical knowledge. It also offers further functionality with a wide range of third-party apps. Moreover, you can also use it to change the visual appearance of a website with skins.
Did you know there are two commercial editions of DNN? The DNN Professional Edition, introduced in February 2009 along with version 4.9 and the Evoq Content: Enterprise Evoq version 9.0, released in December 2016.
Before Installing DotNetNuke (DNN)
Before we start with the DNN installation, follow these steps:
- First, log in to Plesk and navigate to Windows and domains.
- Then, navigate to the domain, for which we will be installing the DNN, and click on the Dedicated IIS application pool for website option.
- After that, make the following changes in the Performance Settings section:
- Maximum number of worker processes: 2
- Idle timeout: 30
- Limit action: Throttle
- Recycling when the maximum amount of virtual memory is used: Unlimited
- Recycling when the maximum amount of private memory is used: Unlimited
- Then, click Apply, followed by OK.
After the DNN installation (explained in detail later in this article), change the Performance Settings back as seen below:
- Maximum number of worker processes: 1
- Recycling when the maximum amount of virtual memory is used: Return to default value
- Recycling when the maximum amount of private memory is used:Return to default value
In case the panel is not available, you can skip these steps.
Installing DotNetNuke or DNN to the domain
- First, download and extract the DNN files to the domain’s root folder.
- Next, select the user account in charge of running the website.
- After that, we will give Modify or Full permissions for the DNN installation folder to the user account we decided on in the previous step.
- First, go to Windows Explorer, navigate to the DNN installation folder. Then, right-click it and select Properties.
- Then navigate to the Security tab and click Edit.
- Next, select the user name and choose Modify or Full Control under Allow.
This can also be done via File manager as seen below:
- First, log in to Plesk.
- Then, select the Websites & Domains tab.
- Select the one which you would like to modify permissions. and click the File Manager icon for the specific site for which you would like to manage files.
- After that, you will notice a list of users on the right side. Choose the user for whom you want to set the file permissions.
- Then, make the required changes on the right side of the screen.
- You can also make further global permissions changes for the chosen file or folder at the top of the screen.
- Then, click Save.
- Next, we will create a database and save the database user as well as the password for the next step.
- After that, we will give the required permissions to the database users as seen below:
- First, open SSMS. Open the database server, then right-click Databases and choose New Database.
- Next, click on Security followed by Users.
- After that, right-click DB user and choose Properties.
- Then, go to Select a page and navigate to Owner schema. Then check db_datareader, db_owner, and db_datawriter.
- Finally, navigate to Membership and check db_owner.
Running the Installation Wizard
Once you have reached this far, our Support Engineers recommend opening a browser and going to your site. This will redirect you to the Installation Wizard automatically.
Here, we will enter the required information in the Website Information and Administrative section as seen below:
Database Setup: Custom Database Type: SQL Server/SQL Server Express Database Server Name: Use the correct version of the database. You can check it from connection info in the database in plesk Database Name: Your database name Security: User Defined Database Username: Your database username Database Password: Your database password Run Database As: Database Owner (make sure this is checked)
After you click Continue, the Installation Wizard will run till the installation is complete. Next, click Visit Website to be automatically redirected to your website.
[Need a hand with Server Management? Give us a call.]
At the end of the day, we learned how to install DotNetNuke or DNN without too much trouble. The Support Team at Bobcares ensured that each step of the process is well-etched out. This made the task easier and avoided errors along the way.